Saturday, April 14, 2007

Legal Guide for Bloggers

The Legal Guide for Bloggers by the Electronic Frontier Foundation answers several legal questions that bloggers need to be aware of. Here are just a few of the questions they answer that I found interesting. There are lots more on their site.

  • I found something interesting on someone else's blog. May I quote it?
  • What is fair use?
  • May I freely copy from federal government documents?
  • Am I free to copy facts and ideas?
  • How does a Creative Commons license help?
  • I'd like to let other people copy from my blog. Can I license it?
  • If a reader comments on my blog, does she license the rights to me?
  • Can I "deep link" to someone else's website or blog post?
  • When can I borrow someone's images for my blog post?
  • Can I use a trademark in my blog's name or in the title of a blog post?
  • What is "Libel Per Se"?
  • Can I be sued for publishing somebody else's private facts?
  • What is offensive to a reasonable person?
It's a site worth looking at if you blog. The good news is that as a blogger, you are allowed an awful lot of latitude - mostly under the freedom of speech laws.

No comments: